THE DEMOCRATIC REPORTER
Pages of Special Interest;
Other Table of Contents;
PLANNING & DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE
THE CORPORATION OF THE CITY OF MISSISSAUGA
FOR THE MONDAY, JANUARY 12, 2004, MEETING
Opening comments: More at the end.
Revised City minutes - Do not recall the last time I have seen minutes labelled "Revised". Given what was said at this meeting I can understand why City politicians would have wanted the first draft changed. On the City's web-site, at the time of the writing of this web-page, the minutes for this meeting are not listed. The minutes for the Planning & Development Committee meetings before this one and after this one are listed - interesting.
Government rule of thumb - control the meeting by controlling the writing of the minutes & what is in them. Councillor Corbasson has even gone back and changed City minutes to include an event that did not even take place!
It was at this meeting that the Mayor, Hazel McCallion, said that the City's environmental committee had all resigned because of me! Right here, but of course it is not noted in City minutes. It was right after I noted that the City's Urban Forestry Management Advisory Committee (UFMAC) had appeared to disappear. There are many good reasons for saying that. More at end.
Our item is put right at the end of the agenda, item # 7, where things often go that the City does not wish people to address. If the meeting goes late, people often give up and leave before speaking. Add to that, the meeting is at City Hall, far from the community it affects and the City can usually count on a low turn out but not this time.
Paul Szabo M.P., for Mississauga South spoke at start of this meeting and requested another meeting due to the lateness of the notice to Mississauga homeowners. The Mayor was quick to agree to his request. Given the way the City treated us, it is not likely we would have got the Feb. 4th, meeting, right in our community, if any of us had asked for it.
14 people from the community spoke. An excellent turn out. None supported the plans and most out right opposed the plans, even if City created minutes did not reflect that fact.
Hazel was really acting like a politician who had just been elected and had no fear of voters at the polls, more then her usually out-spoken self. She lets the cat out of the bag as to how the City is going to get rid of established communities' that are not earning the City enough money and have no one important, to the City in them. It called - RUNNING THE CITY LIKE A BUSINESS - and what the Mayor is all about.
"She advised them that although they did not want change in their community, change was inevitable and the large lots some day would also be developed as intensification and redevelopment was occurring across the City. ... should be looked at in a positive way "
A key issue is the effects to the Cawthra Bush and what the City says about it - "City had no intentions of developing the Cawthra Bush for residential purposes."
When you read these City minutes be mindful of the old phrase - conspicuous by its absence. The main issue that many people stated - the plans had jumped from 1 bedroom empty-nesters, seniors townhouse units to 3 bedroom, family units, 3 times the number of people being added to just this one development. The local population would be tripling and quadrupling as more and more townhouse subdivisions are added. The City simply censored it from the record.
Does our Mayor know the Fix Is In at the Ontario Municipal Broad (OMB)?
Remember in Mississauga politics - it is not how you win, just as long as you win!
At the end - The great irony of it all.
PLANNING & DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE
THE CORPORATION OF THE CITY OF MISSISSAUGA
MONDAY, JANUARY 12, 2004
No Afternoon Session
COUNCIL CHAMBER, CIVIC CENTRE
Internet Address - http://www.city.mississauga.on.ca
MEMBERS PRESENT: Councillor F. Dale
MEMBERS ABSENT: Councillor C. Corbasson (Bereavement)
INDEX - PLANNING & DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE - JANUARY 12, 2004
CALL TO ORDER
DECLARATIONS OF (DIRECT OR INDIRECT) PECUNIARY INTEREST
NO AFTERNOON SESSION
EVENING SESSION - 7:00 P.M.
1. Draft Vales of Humber Secondary Plan - City of Brampton
2. Sign By-Law 0054-2002, as amended - Sign Variance Applications
3. Removal of the "H" Holding Symbol from Zoning By-law 5500, as amended, Part
4. PUBLIC MEETING - Rezoning Application to permit industrial uses, 6650
5. PUBLIC MEETING - Rezoning Application to permit additional commercial uses,
6. PUBLIC MEETING - City-initiated Rezoning to permit greenbelt uses, Parts 16
Planning & Development Committee 10 January 12, 2004
7. SECOND SUPPLEMENTARY REPORT - Official Plan Amendment and
Report dated January 5, 2004 from the Commissioner of Planning and Building
That the Report dated January 5, 2004, from the Commissioner of Planning and
1. That City Council direct Legal Services and representatives from the
2. In the event that the applicant refuses or does not satisfactorily address
Planning & Development Committee 11 January 12, 2004
3. That in the event the revised applications are approved by the Ontario
Mayor H. McCallion responded that staff have met with the developer who is
At the appropriate time, when this item was discussed, Ms. P. Mikicich, Planner,
A public meeting was held by the Planning and Development Committee on
Planning & Development Committee 12 January 12, 2004
Since then, the lands have been transferred into the ownership of L. Smith, in
With the use of an overhead (page 7xx of the Agenda), Ms. Mikicich explained
Ms. Mikicich explained that the purpose of the report was to provide Committee
Councillor K. Mahoney requested clarification of the notice period and was
Ms. M. Flynn-Guglietti, McMillan & Binch, Solicitors for the applicant, addressed
Ms. Flynn-Guglietti noted that the previous owner of the property had referred
Planning & Development Committee 13 January 12, 2004
Ms. Flynn-Guglietti explained the history of the application including the OMB
Mr. Scott Arbuckle addressed Committee on behalf of the applicant and
With respect to landscaping and fencing, Mr. Arbuckle highlighted that the
Mr. Jason Larouche addressed Committee stating that even though the lot has
Mr. Larouche advised that he was a student at the Cawthra Park Secondary
Mr. Don Barber addressed Committee on behalf of the Cawthra Ratepayers' and
Mr. Barber submitted two letters dated January 12, 2004 with an attached
Planning & Development Committee 14 January 12, 2004
Further, Mr. Barber spoke to the Cawthra Bush as being environmentally
A resident on Tenth Street whose name could not be clarified addressed
Mr. Victor Fachada stated that he has lived there for many years and asked if
Mr. Joseph De Faria stated that he too has lived there for many years and was
Mr. Gabriel Ciccone addressed Committee stating that the existing salvage yard
Planning & Development Committee 15 January 12, 2004
Ms. Erlene Naunheimer also stated that she was opposed to the townhouses
Ms. Ileen Ramsey addressed Committee to oppose the application. 
Mr. Frank Ornat addressed Committee stating he too was opposed to the
Mr. Barber returned to the podium and explained how he felt the Cawthra Bush
Mr. Andrew Boss addressed Committee to enquire about the process because
Ms. Shirley Rowett stated that she lived there for many years at the top of
Mr. Vincent Rowett addressed Committee stating that he hoped that there would
Mr. Odillo Rotella stated that he would like to have a new community centre as
Carolyn Sheprak and Robert Honeyford stated that they appreciated their large
Planning & Development Committee 16 January 12, 2004
lands could have been developed for townhouses, suggesting that the lands at
In response to further clarification with respect to the designation and the
Mr. D. Barber again returned to the podium and stated that the existing trees
Planning & Development Committee 17 January 12, 2004
Mayor H. McCallion responded by reconfirming to the residents that the City had
no intentions of developing the Cawthra Bush for residential purposes.  The
Mayor stated that she would move the recommendation along with its conditions,
adding that the matter was before the OMB and at this point Council could only
give staff direction on how to proceed at the Board. She pointed to the
conditions of approval in the report as the basis for the approval and hoped the
OMB would support those conditions. Mayor McCallion also requested the
Transportation and Works Department staff to look at the concern raised by the
residents with respect to traffic and school buses and to ensure that adequate
provisions are made in this regard. She explained to the residents that the
changes being requested were minimal, double car garages to address parking
concerns, adding that the developer has been cooperative. 
The Mayor explained to the residents that the Ward Councillor has worked hard
Mayor McCallion stated that she would be recommending to the Ward
A verbal motion by Mayor H. McCallion, to approve the staff recommendation as
OZ 02/023 W1
ADJOURNMENT - 9:35 P.M.
[ COMMENTS BY DON B. -
 - Classic case of political misdirection and manipulation. The main issue was that the plans had jumped from 1 bedroom empty-nesters townhouse units to 3 bedroom family units, 3 times the number of people. To distract from the worse the Mayor focuses on the roof height, when she knows what the issues are but only seeks to avoid them. The changes are significant enough to merit re-starting this development proposal.
 - What Councillor K. Mahoney did not talk about was how the Ratepayers have been kept out of the process. How the City refused to recognize the local Ratepayers group, the Cawthra Ratepayers' and Residents' Association. How we and I have been harassed and threatened trying to make us give up and go away.
What her statements really means is that she is blaming those in the community for not fighting the City tooth and claw in court and spending their life savings vs. Hazel's use of taxpayers dollars, to save their community and the Cawthra Bush, from City plans. Our fault for not having a lawyer on call, like a business to earn the respect of City hall enough that the City would not try such tricks, like trying to eliminate the Northmount community.
 - No truer statement than that!
 - The City's use of words is very important and even small things like this can aid the City in creating a false impression in peoples minds. It is worded to sound like I was the only person who got a late notice, in fact it was noted that everyone did.
As for the report, the facts I pointed out are that City staff did not tell me about the report being available till earlier on the same day as this meeting, Jan. 12th (Mon.), when I had asked the committee Coordinator to call me as soon as it was ready from the printer. About the middle of the week before. I just happened to be at the Clerks Office, the Friday before, and was given the Additional Agenda with the report in it, but a the report, as it turns out, was incomplete. The point being that City staff did not make a reasonable effort to contact a community representative about the available of a report that the community was very keen to review and even having it the Friday before gives very little time to research it. Especially, when it comes to calling places that keep normal business hours. Just another of the tricks the City uses to keep taxpayers out of the loop. Denial of the facts and services, that the City claims it wants people to comment on. Controls what can be said at the upcoming meeting.
 - What is important is what did not happen. The City has taken the position of ignoring what I say and not showing the respect they should to a community leader. Earlier on they did list the groups I lead but when I speak they have no questions or comments, in other words they do not show an interest or care at all for what I have said or even properly consider it.
The other thing they do is not to address what I have said till after everyone has spoken and returned to their seats, then take cheap shots at me or say falsehoods. This is to try and provoke me to return to the speakers stand so they can threaten me with security for trying to defend my self from their unfair comments or point out an error in their statements. Mature professionals would not do this. This can also be seen in how they treat the others that spoke that night, speaking to them when they were at the speakers stand.
 - Mayor McCallion explained "that although they did not want change in their community, change was inevitable and the large lots some day would also be developed as intensification and redevelopment was occurring across the City. She also pointed out to the residents that ... this should be looked at in a positive way"
The environmental impacts across the City will be devastating. Low destiny around environmental significant areas, protects those areas. Low destiny also means large lots with trees and shrubs which greatly aid the community by way of health benefits - lost because of Hazel's grand plan for building HER City! Children will suffer the most.
"Mayor McCallion explained that a variety of housing types ... part of the City's philosophy.", what makes this "philosophy" so insane is that we are being told that in one small community the City wants "a variety of housing types". What defines community is what it has or has not. To try and have all kinds of housing, in all communities is just plain crazy! But that is what the City is trying to ram down our throats and make it sound reasonable. Reasonable only after hitting yourself in the head with a hammer a few times.
This is making the errors in City building that have been made time and time again, no respect for the Character of an existing community. Turn unique communities all into the same kind of assembly line mistake. Hazel is called the Queen of Urban Sprawl for creating Mississauga by making the urban planning errors of the 1950's. Now she wants to create a City by making the mistakes of how a City should be created, at our & our children's expense. The Big Lie is about things being the exact opposite from what you are being told.
 - The use of words "Mr. Barber returned to the podium", the City makes an effort to point out that I went up to help another resident who was getting a hard time from the City. When the developer returned to the podium, the City does not make a big deal of it by noting the fact. The City is trying to make it seem wrong.
The fact was Mr. Ornat was being given a hard time by the Chair (Mahoney) about how exactly how the Cawthra Bush would be threatened by this development. I stepped up to help and was let in by the next person to speak to address this topic. The Chair gave me 30 seconds, an unreasonable length of time and I believe she would never try such a restriction on the developer. None-the-less, had some fun with it and spoke really fast to get it in and the Chair even was entertained by it.
Simply put, an environmental significant area only has protection if it has environmentally significant features. If they are destroyed by over use by an ever expanding neighbouring human population, it loses it protection and can be developed by either the City or sold off to developers, to make money for the City. It is a standard government method. City staff have called it pounding a forest into the ground.
Just as it is a standard method to say the City has no current plans to develop or build in the Cawthra Bush. Actions speak stronger then words, the City is not protecting either the Cawthra Bush or the community protecting it, therefore the City wants both eliminated, in time.
 - "Ward Councillor, Carmen Corbasson, had attempted to reduce the density and now there was no reduction in density but an increase in height.". The full quote of what he said would be more along the lines of, that at the last meeting June 17-03, the Councillor said the people had spoken and lower destiny is called for. Mr. Boss was the only person who had standing at the OMB Hearing as well. Thanks to how the City generally kept me and the community out of the loop.
 - Words that shows the developer gets special treatment. The developers lawyer can return to address the Committee without being noted as doing so but again the City minute makers who take their orders from City politicians have noted "Mr. D. Barber again returned to the podium", as if it should mean something.
As the developers representative gets to address the comments made and the Chair unquestionably allowed it, so should not the community representative? This bit by the City "existing trees may be cut down", should be regarded as the kind of falsehoods the City will put in its minutes to make a person appear unreasonable. It is like a form, of punishment.
The Urban Forestry Management Advisory Committee (UFMAC). This committee has gone into secret meetings so the public can not know what is going on and so the public can not present their concerns to it. City politicians are very jealous of their power and I was using this committee to great effect to change or halt City plans. This committee's Agendas and Minutes were listed on the City's old web-site but when it changed over, they all disappeared, along with its listing as a City committee. A recent listing in the Mississauga News that the City posted asking for volunteers for its committees, did not list UFMAC.
You have to ask yourself in this day and age, what responsible government would get rid of its Environmental committee, especially at a time like this? At the Feb. 4th, City meeting the Ward Councillor said they planned on rezoning the Cawthra Bush in March of this year. How convenient that the City is doing these things with the environmental over-sight committee not around to address them!
Then by shear chance or fate, as I was making photocopies for this meeting, ran into one of current members of UFMAC. He explained that the City had not had meetings for months. That he had been offered the chance to renew his term on committee but declined. There was a feeling among committee members that the City was not making the best use of their time and efforts.
 - This again is a matter of what is not in the minutes. After I returned to my seat. Hazel starts to speak and right away attacks me, saying I made UFMAC or the City's environmental committee all resign.
Not being one to allow the City to get away with such an obvious effort to defame me in front of the local community, I returned to the podium damning Hazel repeat her statement so I could address it. Being the BULLY she is, Hazel would not! It is OK for her to take shots at people from her chair on City Council but when they stand before her with an equal chance to respond, she loses her voice!
The Chair, kept saying sit down or security will this or that and in time I did but not before expressing my displeasure over her juvenile attempts to put me down. Really should not let her or other City politicians get my goat so, even if I know they are totally wrong. They do so just they can start a fight and call the cops on me. That is how morally bankrupt they are and as for Hazel? At over 80 and more then 30 years as a politician, can her mind really know facts from fantasy? After all, she thinks there is a "coup" out to get her and that I am a part of !
 - "City had no intentions of developing the Cawthra Bush for residential purposes.", not to be believed, in general. Although technically right the City's action are those of a party destroying the Cawthra Bush's environmental significance thereby opening it up to future development. See more here. Some would call this the lie of omission.
 - " She pointed out that as the City moves into another phase of growth, redevelopment of existing older uses will occur and the residents must be prepared to accept more such changes in the mature areas of the City."
- "existing older uses", people's homes and the property that they sit on. Homes that form communities that are healthy, safety and that people would want to live in. To retire in and many have. Places where people have spent a lot of their time and money to make a liveable community, they have pride in.
- "residents must be prepared to accept more such changes", sounds more like McCallion's Mafia telling people to get out, they not make the City enough money. Once the City lets developers in to tear up existing communities they will do whatever they can, to force people out. It is often called Block Busting. Make your community unliveable and buy your land cheap, then as the City so politely puts it "intensification" & "redevelopment" it.
At this meeting I asked what was so wrong with the Northmount community that the City felt it needed to eliminate it. Not only had they no answer, they would not get back to us on that. Not surprising that question is not in the City minutes.
It would be very interesting to see how Hazel would react is someone were to treat her the same way as the City is treating mature communities, she being an "older use" of a body and a physically "mature" person. It is always easier when these decision affect other people and not you or your friends.
The Great Irony in all this is the Friends of the Cawthra Bush got started as the City wanted to cut down the "mature" Trees in the Cawthra Bush (then the rest of the City), to make money for the City coffers. Now we are trying to save peoples homes & property in "mature" Communities, from being treated the same way, by the City!
 - Hazel McCallion is the point person to make sure this is forced through so she also does the "verbal motion".
Your Financial Donations are Greatly Appreciated